Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Becca Rosenberg's Story!

Hello again, blog readers.  Here is another write-in, by the incomparable Becca Rosenberg (who is, incidentally, serving her second year at FWPS AmeriCorps).  Enjoy!

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

My AmeriCorps story began in April of 2011, at the end of my student teaching semester.  After experiencing an extremely emotional transition from classroom aide to lead teacher, I had no confidence in my abilities and was scared that I had made a terribly expensive mistake by enrolling in a Masters in Teaching program.  Instead of feeling prepared to develop my own classroom, I wanted to run home and apply to the nearest coffee shop.  But that did not happen.  Instead, during a moment of restlessness brought on by a mere two days of hiding out at my parents’ house, I discovered the AmeriCorps homepage.  Here I am, exactly one year later, with a completely different attitude about my work, newfound confidence in my abilities, and a fresh outlook on my values and goals.  Now, it is not about feeling ready to teach, it is about choosing to serve and about viewing the past as a learning experience instead of as a point of regret.  I did not initially expect to do AmeriCorps for a second year, but I have found the perfect confluence between my passion for education and my desire to make a difference in my community.  Because of this, I am pursuing another year serving in schools as an academic tutor, mentor, and volunteer recruiter/coordinator.

There are so many moments – both seemingly small and undeniably huge – that have shaped my AmeriCorps story.  I will try to express some of them as compactly, but impact-fully, as possible.  Here are some snapshots:

It was 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday.  It was freezing.  I was working at an elementary school track meet and was in charge of wrangling thirty 3rd-5th grade boys while they waited to do the long jump.  To keep them preoccupied, I started to ask them if they knew my team members.  Every time I mentioned someone’s name, eyes lit up and smiles appeared.  One boy shouted at the top of his lungs from the back of the bleachers, “I get to work with Miss Christina during my recess!”  I am pretty sure only my coworkers could make staying inside for recess that wonderful.

more inspirational words after the jump!




While checking my school mailbox, I found an anonymous card with $50 worth of Shell Station gift cards inside that said, “Becca, Thank you for all that you do!!  Be blessed!!”  I never found out who put it there, but that fact made me remember that the most precious actions are the ones that happen without the expectation of anything in return.

My school was so lucky to have former Mariners catcher Dan Wilson and the Mariners Moose visit during Volunteer Week.  Some of the many dedicated volunteers at my site got to meet with him and share their experiences working with students.  One first grader that I have worked with all year got to read an entire book to Dan and act as our tour guide throughout the morning.  I watched him transition from shy and quiet to proud and confident.

One of our team sayings is “Fake it ‘til you make it.”  I can honestly say that I have never had to fake a smile at my site.  My students tell me they think my haircut is weird; they yell that they hate school/reading/math/everything; they do handstands in the library; they hide in the bathroom during small group time; but, more often than not, they inspire me with their humor, their perseverance, their kindness, and their insight.   

Becca Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment