Monday, April 16, 2012

Welcome y'all!

Last Saturday, we three “AmeriBloggers” met up at a diner in Seattle to discuss how we could create a forum for AmeriStories. Before we get ahead of ourselves, however, let’s take a moment to tell you how we became a trio of tutoring and weed-pulling, Washington resident bloggers.

Sky Friedlander: Hi! Thanks for stopping by AmeriStories.  I’m Sky, from Central Pennsylvania.  I joined AmeriCorps right out of college as my first job--I’ve never really done volunteer work or taught anyone, ever.  After seven months, I’ve changed and grown in ways I never expected--I feel like I’m on the way to being an adult now!  I know personally the positive impact a term of AmeriCorps can have in a person’s life.  I really can’t talk the whole program up enough.

I will be providing illustrations for the project--I have an art-y background and I look forward to exploring stories of national service visually. I have always loved stories of all kinds--books, movies, whatever.  I hope I can show the passion I feel in the drawings I create for this project. Can’t wait to get started!

What about you, Christina?

Christina Stanton: Hello all! Writing to you from Seattle is Christina Stanton. Last fall I left the Big Apple for the Emerald City, although my original home is Baltimore, Maryland.

Unlike some of my AmeriCorps teammates, I have no formal background in education, but have thoroughly enjoyed serving in a school setting. Instead, while at NYU, I discovered my passion for oral history, storytelling and portraits of all kind. That’s where I come into this AmeriStories project.

After working on a project chronicling my Grandma Nell’s crazy 80 years on earth, I was convinced that this was the sort of thing I could see myself doing long-term. Not only was I allowed a window to view her life, but my project connected me to distant family and old friends. I quickly realized what a joy it was to listen to people tell their stories, and then help them bring them to life. Knowing what I already know about AmeriCorps volunteers, and my teammates in particular, I am so incredibly excited to help them share their experiences and unique perspectives.

Your turn, Brittany!

Brittany Turner:

Hello to you! Brittany Turner here, your AmeriBlogger friend from the San Francisco Bay Area. My interest in the AmeriStories project was sparked after I heard the great ideas of fellow AmeriBloggers, and agreed with their mission 100%.

I have had a passion for education throughout my adult life. My undergraduate studies stressed the possible impacts education can have on all people. I have made a commitment to serve communities where strong education systems and strong leaders are needed the most, a commitment that has led me to a term with AmeriCorps.

It is my belief that national service, AmeriCorps programs to be exact, are excellent avenues that can connect communities with service-minded people. I believe our country and its people can only grow positively through the impacts of community service.

Thank you for supporting AmeriStories as we support national service.

No comments:

Post a Comment